Sunday, March 8, 2009

Favorite Things – C here





For as long as I live, I will be a California Girl.
If my nose is “up in the air”- it is because I am gazing at clouds









Or sniffing at a climbing rose.


The frothy 'Lemon Meringue' is one I am considering adding to my collection as it blooms on both new and old wood- I won't have to "think" when pruning. I found it in the Weeks Roses catalog. If my local nursery doesn't have in stock when I can hold back the temptation no longer- I can always ask them to order a pair.








It is time to request a blooming calla lily, the flower of resurrection and rebirth, be sent to church for Easter celebrations.
Like many Californians, the long-stemmed beauty traces her ancestors back to a foreign land and the name changed to something “more American”. With family roots (or in her case, rhizomes) originally springing from South Africa- the calla’s tribal name- her genus- is zantedeschia.
Clothed in elegant, clean lines that are almost sculptural- the calla is a traditional flower with modern appeal. Callas are to flowers what Prada is to plants.



Nigella Lawson commented in her cookbook How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food about how grocery store carrots have turned cardboard in flavor. For all the good things cardboard packages up- flavor is not one.



Some of life’s problems are not so easily fixed. But those we can, should be. Chives, cilantro, cucumbers and carrots will be tucked into open garden spots. When they are “just right”- their just picked flavor will add to the sweetness of life.









Be creative- What are some of your favorite things which start with the letter C?



Thank you to commercial photographer Gene Sasse for permission to use the images in this post. Other than the book cover- they are his work. Go to his site and be amazed http://www.genesasse.com/

3 comments:

  1. Good Sunday evening to you, Lydia.

    Those were exquisite roses !

    And I love carrots and chives and corn and cucumbers and cherries and cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,
    Ohhh be still my heart! I wanted to take a bite out of the yellow roses! How beautiful and the name Lemon Meringue is so perfect!
    Also wanted to much on a carrot or two!
    As for favorite "C" things, how about Church. Caitlin is my favorite name for a girl and I love Comedies! Ohhh COFFEE is definitely a favorite! With Creamer!
    Well I will think of more later.
    Hugs, Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH boy! Here we go... CHOCOLATE! CAKE! CHOCOLATE CAKE! Crab, cabbage, corn on the cob, Cadillacs, calves (baby cows), caller ID!, computer (mine .. I love it.), cymbidiums (elegant and lacy..Daddy grew them.), cats (my Harley boy), camping and cooking out, cafeterias (oh the joy of selection!), clocks (I have several, very different ones!), cable cars (for the love of San Francisco!), cyan and cerulean blue. Ciao!
    OH yes, and chow! Mmmmm...
    Oregon Sue xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.