Thursday, September 15, 2011

GBBD Sept 2011, The Garden in Context

"Language is not merely a set of unrelated sounds, clauses, rules, and meanings; it is a total coherent system of these integrating with each other, and with behavior, context, universe of discourse, and observer perspective."
Kenneth L. Pike

See my garden in  the context of where I live. Diamond Bar, California
Well-trimmed Eucalyptus as backdrop

The population is diverse. The people are good.  In 2005, Hurricane Katrina did her very best to destroy a good portion of the US Southern coastline. The following Friday, 1,790 miles away, the children at Diamond Bar High School got on the phone. With more than a little help from their parents and cross town rivals at Diamond Ranch High School, they raised over $70,000 for the American Red Cross.


Diamond Bar is a diverse community. Perhaps it is the cross-pollination of cultures. Of all the things that grow in Diamond Bar, it is children that we grow the best.


I am a great believer in gardens with plant diversity. Yes, it is more work. But isn't the work required a hallmark how worthwhile an achievement is judged?  I don't garden to have a space to ignore. I garden to interact.


This is what a monarch sees close up.

This is what the human eye sees.


At this cusp of autumn, commuting caterpillars crowd their favorite lanes up the stems of butterfly bush.  


Succulents, lantana and roses

 I am not a big talker. I am a writer. And when the keyboard is resting my finger's voice, if it is daylight you will likely find me outside writing my beliefs in the garden.
Rose Lantana
I believe that every color is beautiful. In humanity and plants.
Choose your plants like your friends. For their strengths.

Queen Anne's Lace
But don't forget to hold precious delicate beauty. A drop of impracticality cures rigidity.

Thank you to Carol May for hosting this month'sGarden Blooming Blog Day Open Garden Tour.

9 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your heartwarming comments as much as seeing your lovely flowers. And I completely agree with you about the importance of diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me smile since my brothers, sisters and I are children of Diamond Bar. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to honor your town and the diversity in your garden, too! I like your exhortation: choose your plants like your friends -- for their strength as well as fragility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lydia,

    Lovely post. It warmed my heart to see the kids at Diamond Bar Hi and read what they and Diamond Ranch kids did for the American Red Cross. I hadn't heard that but it doesn't surprise me. This is a great community and I believe we have raised our children well.

    Say, don't that catapillers eat your plants?

    XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning everyone! I am behind on blog visiting, but will catch up asap.

    Scott- your garden is a picture catalog- marvelous. Everyone else- I should be caught up on reading by Monday. Going to commenter sites brings such pleasure.

    Trisha- on your question- A few chewed up leaves- a bargain in the exchange. Just a few exceptions- the biggest being a tomato hornworm. Those are evil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you write about your Garden and your Plants and all the colors, etc., etc... I so agree with your last statement, Lydia....."A drop of inpracticality cures rigidity"...Indeed, Indeed...The Beauty of Nature is breathtaking and awesome, in the truest sense of that word! LOVE the pictures, too, Lydia....Especially what the Monarch see's....Again, AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet post. Your photographs are so pretty, I enjoyed the stroll through your garden! Thanks so much for visiting and following...following you too!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Naomi and Cindy! I learn so MUCH from your sites, it pleases me to know you enjoy this site.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.