Friday, April 18, 2014

Week in Review~ Lunar Eclipse~Garden Bloggers Bloom Day (GBBD)~ Before and after ~ Beyond my Garden Gates


"All of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today." 
~ Dale Carnegie
Photo courtesy of Gerry Plunk

Trend Report: Color is in.  


The lunar eclipse- a radiant melon hung in the inky night sky in a was a cosmic menage a trois. No cloud offered a veil of privacy. The whole of insomniacs were watching the earth's shadow crawl between it and the sun. Such celestial beauty sky spawning prayers and prophecies. No wonder the the moon blushed.


                        

June, 1989. Our backyard was just beginning to tell us what it wanted from us. It whispered "I want to bloom."


                      
                               
April, 2014:   Today, my garden's wild heart sings.  The view from my study is a symphony of inspiration.  



My garden inspires me to dream in color. 
To have courage and work hard.
To have faith. 


 


It is divine to surround yourself with roses just for the sake of how beautiful they are. How they fill the air with beautiful perfume. 

This season, allergy season, there is a routine. Breathe deep. Sneeze. People offer "God bless you." My reply "I am."


The Mourning Cloak Butterfly- according to this  website- this black beauty is one of the longest lived butterflies in North America. Nothing in my garden is listed as a preferred source of nectar- but there are oaks in our little finger canyon. From there it must have spotted my garden and thought "This is the promised land."




The first several years, this rose bush was a sickly child.  It would send out a few dangling balls: which failed to open.  Her feet are planted near a feeder. Perhaps it is all that "free-range fertilizing" from the song birds  darting about which nourished her to a happy adulthood. 



The sparrows teach about the importance of opportunity. The garden arch wasn't erected for their use- they instinctively know- that is not important.  We can't always have what we want, but we can be happy with what we have.




Caring for this land has expanded my definition of stewardship. As a child, I thought that meant to leave things be.

A lifetime later, I realize that  Mother Nature is not only unreliable, she is, too often, cruel. To enhance the opportunity in the landscape for food, water, nesting and shelter-  this is a higher charge.



Fridays are my day in the garden.  Some time in the morning, I will have crossed over to less civilized terrain.  Clearing weeds. Clearing my mind.

But before I go, let me share a few pictures from beyond my garden gate.

                     

Meet Oulie. The White Highland Terrier is the daughter of the Caesar Dog Food TV Commercial model.  She lives the good life with Dawn Saunders and Ed Bilezikian in Laguna Hills. You may remember their garden from the 2013 Elegant and Enchanting Garden Tour.  






I am still reeling in a sensory awe of the captivating home of artist Maria del Carmen Calvo , and her husband, Dr. Walter L. Henry. This floor insert was created from a broken stained glass window and cast off bits of glass set in cement. 


Fresh flowers cut from the garden graced several vases.  Everything the artist touches- a bit of her soul flourishes.  





The artist has known great tragedy. But instead of wallowing, her gift is to rise motivated to capture moments of great beauty and share them.  

I am but a humble writer. I do not know if dreams of future roses dominate the horizon, or if the ugliness of certain governments of men shall.  It is ominous that Jews in the eastern Ukraine, where Soviet separatists have taken over, have been ordered to register with the government. 

This Easter season, may we lift our heart in joy for every moment of peace and beauty we have.  May our lives be dedicated to active prayer to spread our blessings to those without. 

Until we meet again, Thank YOU for all YOU do to make the world more beautiful.



Linking to Garden Bloggers Bloom Day






6 comments:

  1. Lydia, your blog today is even more inspiring than the norm. After you read my Daily Drivel of my activities you will understand why I appreciated the Dale Carnegie quote so very much.

    The heavenly transformation of your backyard over the years, is truly an amazing feat of beauty. God has bestowed His green thumb to you! And as a side remark about God, I will at your "I am" comment now when someone says God bless to me, along with a thank you, too!

    Enjoy and celebrate a perfect, blessed Easter.

    Judy Duvall
    Seal Beach, Ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, your garden is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a paradise your yard is! How could it not inspire you? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures!!! Aren't good cameras fun!! Lucky you got to see the eclipsing moon. We missed out...too many clouds. Hope your Easter is peaceful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm. I love the transformation of your garden and the history of your understanding of land stewardship. You've certainly created a haven for wildlife (perhaps some of it is too wild!).

    Roomie said the same after our visit to the Huntington: that it inspires her to tend and nurture.

    Hope you had a wonderful Easter celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment, Lydia. It is really fun for our whole family. My poor husband had to work and missed out. I feel like it sounds like me.
    The whole issue is good.
    Have fun on location. Such a great magazine!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.