Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Xotx Tropico




Need something Tropical for your garden and can’t find it here in the suburbs? Xotx Tropico is an amazing corner nursery not far from the old Farmer’s Market in Los Angeles. In terms of biodiversity per square inch- this is the most diverse and exciting an adventure as you are going to find without needing a malaria shot administered.

The hibiscus in the picture is in front of my home. It is a RARE weeping hibiscus. How rare is it? Xotx Tropico is the only place in California I have seen them for sale. To see a mature weeping hibiscus in full bloom is to understand that a weeping cherry tree can appear understated in the landscape. If you miss the opportunity to see the examples for sale at Xotx Tropico, then the next closest specimens of this floral cascading bouquet in shades of pink cotton candy may be in one of two places. Hawaii. Or Florida.

With the spelling of the Xotx- I was a little concerned that behind the jungle would be a strip joint. The owner- he looks like he could play a bouncer for someone really important. He spouts Latin better than a priest.

Now, as the daughter of George of the Jungle. I know something about tropical surroundings. True story. My father was named George. My mother, from the tropical island of Puerto Rico, was afraid to go home because of hurricanes. So she brought the jungle to where we grew up in Whittier.

When I was in high school, the whole jungle thing mortified me. If someone wanted to know where we lived, all one had to say was “go to the jungle” and everyone knew where our house was. No further instructions were needed

So, take it from me. This is one AWESOME place to seek out the unusual. Not just thirsty tropicals- but lots of bulbs from South Africa, where the weather is hot and the rain doesn’t fall any more than it does here.

Xotx Tropico
900 N Fairfax Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90046
(323) 654-9999

2 comments:

  1. OK then! I think I have finally figured out how to post a comment here!
    LOVE your blog and the descriptions of your beautiful flowers! Makes me want to instruct John to go buy something beautiful and plant them for me!! That's the extent of my gardening! Oh yes, I do spend the summer going down to his veggie garden (ask Edda) and talking on the phone then picking veggies for dinner! Great fun!
    Great site Lydia!! So happy you and Sue Maxwell are enjoying each other's writing! Knew you would!!
    XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you pointing me to Sue's site and for posting. Bookmark this site and just check in from time to time.

    I have a GREAT tree for you. And you won't have to send John all the way to LA for it. Eden Garden Center, where Armstrongs used to be here in Diamond Bar has the city tree of Singapore, Michelia Champaca, in stock. It gets to be about 20 foot tall- so if you don't put it in a pot plan on it getting to be about the size of a crepe myrtle tree. What is special about this tree is the scent of the flowers. They are used as the basis of Joy perfume.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.