Thursday, June 16, 2016

After Orlando ~ Savor Life ~ with Village Nurseries and in the Kitchen


"LIFE is a mosaic of pleasure and pain- grief an interval between two moments of joy. Peace is the interlude between two wars. You have no rose without a thorn; the diligent picker will avoid the pricks and gather the flower. There is no bee without the sting: cleverness consists in gathering the honey nevertheless." 
~ Sri Sathya Sai Baba

 Caryopteris Blue Balloon® is a bee magnet

After Orlando.  Two words overflowing with the 5 stages of grief.  Denial. Anger. Bargaining. Depression. Acceptance.  Emotions wildly swinging for attention. A clash of who is where in the healing process. A thunderous clash between those with an agenda to use events to promote colliding agendas.
STOP
The choice is to heal of not.
Choose to savor life. 
Default to gracious outreach.

If only intense tragedies could be sailed over, with the grace of fine horses leaping over over hurdles in a single direction laid across a course certain. Instead,we push through sloggy ground, hoping to arrive on the side where there is healing, the cracks in our broken hearts expanded because tragedy was used to grow greater love.
Bee visiting African Blue Basil in my garden
 Bees took me awhile to appreciate. When I was a wee child, my favorite Uncle Frank got stung while riding a motorcycle. He nearly died. But he didn't. Then there was when the preschool age  son scrambled into the kikitchen, tears streaming down his face, proclaiming. "All I did was pet it. And the bee bit me." He didn't die, either. (But he did stop petting bees).

  

Strolling through the Pollinator Passageway at the Village Nurseries Miramar Horticultural Encounter,  I was drawn to  experience a garden scene that was anything but a still life. Bees, birds and butterflies danced about, largely ignoring  the people from the land of giants (which must be how they see us). They were happy. For they were in a garden. Surrounded by beauty. All their needs provided. 

It was the blue flower( pictured at top) that caught my attention. It was a plant dedicated to bees wanting to go out clubbing. Nicholas Staddon, Pantsman extraordinaire, favors us with information "The plant the bee is dining on is on is Caryopteris Blue Balloon®. The common name is Blue  Mist Spiraea. She is part of the Monrovia exclusive collection with Village Nurseries.Without doubt, its a winning plant for every pollinator in the garden."                                                                                                          

Village Nurseries doesn't just sell plants. Their mantra might be "Seek. Create. Share." Which is what they did, not only on Encounter Days, but by posting illustrated plant lists online


While I am drawn to high color and untamed flowers, all beauty is worthy. While the highly architectural and monochromatic vignette might not be my cup of tea- I have no beef with those who prefer its serenity. 


All gardens are worthy of respect. May we learn to grow what we love, and be less hateful to those who choose to walk in gardens that are not authentic to us- if they  soothe the souls of the keepers of the garden, we should shout halleluja to live when diversity is celebrated. 

















The kitchen hearth is a place where comfort is created.Where love-offerings are served from carefully crafted meals.  



Francis Ford Coppola's Directors Cabernet Sauvignon  awakened dormant taste buds. My notes read:  'Color- Inky garnet. Good legs. Flavors- spicy, dried cherries, pepper and clove... Satisfaction in a glass.' 

We're not big drinkers. The first time we enjoyed this varietelle, after dinner the bottle was corked and set aside. 6 weeks later we had the most luscious red wine vinegar.  I can't wait to pour in a capful the next time caramelized onions are served. Such is the power of good ingredients- it propels the imagination with anticipation of of creative use. 

Bless the people of Orlando. Even as you suffer, an act of war committed within the city boasting one of the happiest places on Earth, you show us your nobility. We owe it to you to learn the only purpose of tragedy is to face the fragility of life. The end can come swiftly. Without warning. Without fairness. Until then, we should savor every moment. 


Until we meet again, Thank You for all YOU do to make the world more beautiful 

Lydia 







4 comments:

  1. Ah, so that's what you do with left-over wine sitting on the counter too long! (I'm a very very light drinker)

    A beautiful post full of good memories (the boy who learned not to pet bees made me smile) and beautiful flowers -- which remind me I want more blue in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nikki. There are so many wonderful blue-flowering plants now. If I could afford it, I would rip-out all my old agapanthus for newer varieties which bloom through much of the year.

    The other thing you can do with stale red wine is to dilute it and give your roses a drink. Remember- beer for the lawn, wine (or whiskey) for the roses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Catalpa Tree by my front porch. The bees love it. The "whole tree is a buzz"!!! My experience with bees was one of a lot of curious kids, I caught one by the wings and held it up to my finger to see if the stinger would come out of it's mouth. Fooled me! It came right out of it's butt and BAM stung me! Gained new respect for bees and kept my distance after that. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lydia. Those are all beautiful and eye catching pictures speaks of God's beautiful creation around us to make us feel pleasent. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am blessed and feel privielged and honored to get conneted with you as well as know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to teh poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and teh adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work witih us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.