Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Uplifting Power of Music

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."
Plato


"Kirk Gibson's home run during the World Series for the Los Angeles Dodgers, reaching out over the plate to hit it -- and him hobbling around the bases and pumping his fist. What an unbelievable moment."
-- Tony Rose , Reynoldsburg, OH, from CNN Sports on the greatest 20 moments in televised sports moments.

The hometown paper had previewed the World Series in 1988 with a prediction. The Los Angeles Dodgers may as well stay home. They were going to be rapidly over-powered by a team of giants from up the coast: the Oakland Athletics.

I was in Dodger Stadium when the gimpy Gibson crushed the destiny of the 1988 Oakland A's and the "Bash Brothers" Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire with a single swipe of the bat.

In the interest of full disclosure, my brother-in-law was a relief pitcher with the Oakland team. And to see someone you love, someone who is a good and decent person perform at that level is a personal thrill that defies description. That being said, aside from the personal connection, my greatest sports memory was not about sports. It was about music.

It was one year at Anaheim Stadium. Fourth of July. My husband and I had a tailgate party with Marshall Hill and Karla Adams. We were strolling in to the stadium when we heard a voice that stopped my heart. There was a young man in jeans and a baseball jacket who sang the National Anthem like I have never heard it sung before or since. We had no idea who he was. But I called the Angel's press department first thing the next day to find out.

I invite you to click on the line below and hear one of the great baritones of our time. The incomparable Davis Gaines

YouTube - Song on the Sand - La Cage - Davis Gaines

5 comments:

  1. Lydia,
    Yes, Davis Gaines is wonderful! I had the priviledge of seeing him perform twice as the Phantom in Phantom of the Opera! I have the cassett of that and used to think I was going to wear it out playing it! The twins and I would sing at the top of our lungs in the car with the songs!
    There were several other "Phantoms" but he was the best, IMHO!
    Of course, you know me, my guy is Paul Potts!:):) XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha! I saw both Michael Crawford and Robert Guillaume in Phantom of the Opera, but missed Davis Gaines! Without baseball, I might not know who he is. Proof it is important to always keep eyes and ears open!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful. I really enjoyed him. I really enjoyed reading your blog too.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted this very clip on my blog when writing about the wonderful composer of that song...Jerry Herman.... And Davis performed in the S.T.A.G.E. Benefit, which I was the Co-Chair of for 20 years here in Los Angeles, many MANY times....Not only a superb singer, but a lovely man, too! And I saw him in PHANTOM twice....(Maybe it was three times....) MAGNIFICENT!

    It is great to hear this beautiful clip, once again!

    In regard to that quotation of Bobby Kennedy's...I remember it well! I remember that night very well, too! And then two months later...Bobby Kennedy, Assassinated. Those were terrible terrible times for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyone who thinks there is no beauty or humanity on the west side of LA should log on to

    http://sitteninthehills64.blogspot.com/

    I found it quite accidentally. I was hooked immediately. This very talented woman regularly posts the most vivid photographs and wonderful memories of a life she graciously shares.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.