Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Times of Steven Jobs / February 24, 1955 – October 5, 2011

Times have changed. My contemporary, Steve Jobs, had much to do with it.
April 1982. Trevor on the first home computer of anyone I knew

It was around 1981 that Gerry used his earnings from a side job developing medical software for a Doctor at City of Hope to buy one of the first one hundred Apple II's off the production line. My husband swore it was "all he would ever want." Until the Apple II-e was released.

What my husband proclaimed was not a lie. But it wasn't lasting truth, either. He was just enamored. The future had arrived and he was happy.

 I did not imagine a day when everyone would want their own personal computer. I didn't even want to type. I could not imagine this day when individual family members would have desk top and portable computers- and separate computers to for personal and business functions. We had only owned a color TV for just a few years. A big console we bought second hand from the first openly gay couple I had ever met, in Palos Verdes.

Back then,  Gerald could run algorithms at night while Trevor played Etch-a-Sketch on the family computer during the day. Back then, the big slots where the little floppy discs went, they made an out- of- tune motor noise if a little boy stuffed a match box car in there as if it was a garage. Which made the repairman laugh.

And now I type. And type. And type. Thanks to the visionaries of computing. 

Steve Jobs
Matthew Yohe Original uploader was Aido2002 at en.wikipedia


I think Steve Jobs would like this poem. It hangs on our refrigerator. 

I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out in s brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dryrot.
 I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow,
than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The proper function of a man is to live,
not to exist.
I shall not waste my days
in trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

~ Jack London

2 comments:

  1. It is always so sad to me when someone like Steve Jobs dies so young---and has had to fight such a ravaging disease for a number of years....His contribution to our present world is incalcuable....!
    Your tribute was lovely Lydia---and, well deserved---plus, the Poem a perfect epitaph for this amazing amazing man. RIP, Steve Jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,

    Lovely blog in memory of Steve Jobs.
    I had to keep looking at the photo with Trevor to make sure that wasn't a TV sitting up there. It looks just like one.lol
    Our first computer was an Apple IIGS. We were so excited to get it but it was a huge disappointment. I was appalled that it wouldn't run the software meant for it without buying upgrades for it. I never did learn to use it but of course the boys did. It was only years later when we bought a different one that I learned. The best decision I ever made was to learn it.
    Also I remember some years ago that my mother wanted to buy Apple stock but her broker told her it wasn't even being offered. Boy, if only, she would have been a very wealthy woman today!
    RIP Steve Jobs.

    Hugs, Trisha

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.