Monday, October 5, 2009

Learning from Pumpkinistas

Day 5 of homebody project.

I hoped I might have photos of a certain to-die-for fuchsia. But the garden teaches patience and priority. The local garden center did not have any fuchsias, let alone the perfect fuchsia. And really, meeting my deadline and sending off a query letter were more important than rushing through something that if it takes my lifetime won't be any less satisfying.

Until that time, Susan Maxwell gave me permission to share photos of her favorite pumpkinistas- her grandchildren: Samantha and Tucker.



















These photos reminded me not just of the glorious bounty of the season.

When my sons were in elementary school they were asked what was their favorite season. They both picked the hunting season. I would have probably called it pumpkin season.



















The images remind me of one of my favorite Bible passages Luke 18:16-17

16 But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 17 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.”
















What does this mean? Surely not that if someone does not have the opportunity as a child to know Christ that he is parted from eternity.


















Rather, what do we know of the nature of children?

Children make up for in love what they do not have in knowledge. This must mean that love is more important than knowledge. Children are also endlessly curious and innocent. So while we rightly seek knowledge, we must block cynicism and jadedness.

Any other thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Lydia,
    I think I am the first to see this post as I am a late bird and it looks like you are also.
    I can see you loved Sam and Tuck's photos as much as I did! Aren't they just precious? Sue is so fortunate to have such beautiful and sweet grand babies! Don't know if mine will be that pretty but I will sure love them to pieces!
    I am sending this on to Vickie Buchman because I don't know if Sue sent her those pictures. Her grandson was sitting inside a pumpkin when he was a baby and it was an adorable picture!
    Pumpkin time is such a beautiful time of the year, huh? I can certainly see why Debbie wanted her wedding during that time. Those colors are her theme colors.

    Another wonderful post, my friend!

    XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, that was lovely. Thank you. There is great joy in seeing the world from a child's eye. Fresh curiosity and no prejudice approaches each new adventure. If we could only keep that in mind as adults.

    As for T's comment re the "beauty" of grandchildren, remember T "Every mother has the most beautiful child". And so, every grandmother has the prettiest grandbabies. T, yours will be beautiful gifts from God, as well.
    xo Oregon Sue

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.