Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thoughts on a Foggy Morning


 The words were burned in German on a simple wooden placque found in a second hand shop in Orlando. The chapter and verse were clear: Psalm 121:1



The King James Translation-

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help."

The irony of finding a wooden plaque about hillsides in flat-Florida- it was meant to come home with me. To hang on the crossbeam on the gate to the hinterlands. A bit of stain, some dabs of paint and coatings of polyurethane and it serves as a reminder that when I need help- I just need to look up and ask.



The morning fog obscuring the clutter of details lets the mind settle on sillhouettes. 

 

Just down the steps there are wildflowers. Queen Anne's Lace 'Daucus carota' transports  me back to impossibly romantic drives along country roadsides where crickets and frogs compete for which gets to sing the lead and who is relagated to harmony. 

Such is the magic of a foggy morning.  The dew suspended in the air holds cares away. I forget that I am aging faster than my bucket list is emptying. I forget the financial folder lost so much weight that it doesn't have the health we worked for it to have. I even forget that crows aren't just birds to shoo away. They are also the feet of the lines radiating from the corners of my eyes. 

 On a foggy morning I don't remember that. I remember that there is a God who made it all.  I suspect He shakes his head at how seriously we let temporary problems dam our happiness.




11 comments:

  1. Lydia,

    Can you believe it looks like that on August mornings? I am baffled! Fog in August?? Who woulda thought?

    Love your plaque! Perfect on that gate! Beautiful in fact!

    XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your photos, the fog and even the bitter sweet thoughts, we all have them, I got'em but like you I use them to appreciate what I already got, if that makes sense...:-) But either way I enjoyed your post and I hope you have a nice gardening week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Trisha and Paul. On weeks I am locked up with research it is so nice to see friendly notes in the inbox! Blessings to you early birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fog. Looking at it. Photographing it. Not driving in it. Interesting So. Cal weather you have been having. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have such a spiritual way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully said, Lydia..And so true. We get all caught up in the 'little' picture and the 'unimportant' small things, forgeting what is really important....
    That Plaque is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This weather sure is crazy! Although the fog made for some glorious photo's! Thanks for sharing at today's garden party! xoox, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post and I appreciate everything you've said... I wish we had more foggy mornings here in Wisconsin. I grew up in the mountains of Vermont and the fog frequently lay heavy in the valleys and along the rivers... I always loved it then and consider it a blessing now. Larry

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sign was meant for you dear Lydia.

    Wonderful words and welcome fog.

    You NEED refreshment and hort for your history!

    Love from my island,

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.