Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Garden Music

“In a broader sense, the rhythms of nature, large and small - the sounds of wind and water, the sounds of birds and insects - must inevitably find their analogues in music.”



A garden isn't complete until it is filled with music. In daylight hours, nothing beats the effects of birdsong to heal a troubled soul. Go ahead- Turn up the volume and hit  the play button. In less than 60 seconds, stress shall fly away on gossamer wings. 

Larger, less nimble birds can't get a good foothold on feeders dancing in the wind.  Larger brutish neighbors that generally will make one attempt, then fly away embarrassed at their own clumsiness.  The agile finch are quite happy not to have to fight for the right to feed.

To these songstresses, Nyger seed is an addictive pleasure. So much so- the chorus line waiting slightly off screen- has not one vacant inch for one more bird to queue up in.

It was expensive- learning to keep feeding station full without requiring us to take out an extra mortgage. You will find the type of feeder shown, where grain-like seeds are pulled one bite at a time from the grip of tiny screen holes is the most economical way to keep these birds singing for their supper.

Writing is not much more than silent singing in a two dimensional format. One of the issues which confronts a writer as we start a project is to identify whom we are writing for. Is the scope aimed at a specific or general audienc? If we have to choose whom to please, are we writing for an editor or for ourself?  Does the genre where (if we are very lucky) our piece is produced dictate we project a crisp staccato of most non-fiction? Do we need words that lilt with country air? Must we jolt awake a reader with provocation?

Birds have it so much easier.

7 comments:

  1. Such a sweet sweet Video, Lydia....I LOVE IT!!! Thanks for the 'heads up', my dear...And I would imagine you have thousands of dear little birds coming to that fabulous feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Naomi. Many days out back is like an aviary without a lid. Given the birdies are free to to anywhere- choosing to be here- their song lifts that thought to keep me in the garden long after I should have come in for a "Advil Break."

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite writers, May Sarton, said gardens were silent.

    Oh my, how could she think that?

    Wind thru the leaves, birds, insects....

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy, Lydia that video had the most serene, calming affect on me!

    Thanks for the beautiful nearly one minute vacation.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know just what you mean!! I love listening [and watching] birds in our backyard. Mockingbirds especially...they do sing a different song each and every day.


    My show n tell link: My latest art sketch

    http://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2011/02/hes-there-inside-your-mind.html

    Hope you can find time to stop by. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE my little finches too. And, you are so right about Nyger cutting a swath through your budget, but I would be sad if the birds weren't part of my yard. They make me smile. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I too have narrowed my seed type for more beauty and less destruction at the feeder...Nyger Seed ALWAYS... Sunflower seed mixed with "HOT PEPPER", AND suet mixed with HOT PEPPER...and Enjoy the bird song! LOVE THEM and Loved your post...Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.