Monday, November 8, 2010

Happy 35th Anniversary

Bridge in San Pedro
What a road my husband and I have traveled over the past 35 years of marriage.

There is a passage in the book just finished, The English Major which resonated when the protagonist ruminated
.
"A professor said that what saved writers is that they, like politicians, had the illusion of destiny which allowed them to overcome obstacles... Destiny seemed to be a religious concept on the order of the Calvinist idea of predestination."

Looking back to when we first started looking forward together I am certain we did not understand the power provided vows made to God before family, friends and congregants.  Our early sense of destiny.  that we belong together, became a bridge that helped smooth the crossing when the deep waters of a long term marriage churned in passing storms.
When the send button here is punched. I am going to walk out front with clippers to fill a vase. Fill my home with the illusion fresh flowers provide 5 star hotel lodging. 

'Mary Rose'

My earliest English roses,  David Austen 'Evelyn' and 'Mary Rose' challenged my patience in their early years.
Perhaps it is the sentimentality of an anniversary , but today I look at them as analogous to "In sickness and in health. "  There were days I wanted to divorce their diseased, attention grubbing bodies.

Now that they are established- I'm glad we hung in there. The day would not be so beautiful without them.


Bridge in San Pedro photographed by Gene Sasse. Used with permission.

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LYDIA AND GERRY!!
    Don't know why I didn't receive this link on email but I found it on Facebook!
    Hope your foot is feeling better and Ger takes you out to someplace fabulous tonight! You deserve to be treated like a queen as you are a wonderful wife!

    Have a great one!

    Hugs, Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary kids!!! 1975 the same year Jerry and I got married. I posted Happy Anniversary to you on my blog yesterday, then realized I was a day early. Hope you get the card. Mail goes from here on mule! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. A group of us went to dinner on Saturday night with friends who were celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. We had a long conversation about what keeps us together for so long, and we kept returning to variations of the same reasons -- good listening, good communication, not staying mad, respect for each other's intellect, physical attraction...
    After 35 years, I'm sure you and Gerry have the very same reasons.
    Congratulations for doing it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary Lydia! Like marriage, you hung in there and nurtured your relationship with nature and ended up with gorgeous roses!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.