Tuesday, April 19, 2011

God and Man and Creatures

" Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow,
neither do they reap, nor gather into barns and yet your heavenly father feeds them.
And are you not worth much more than they?

Matthew 6:26. Tax collector who spurned that career path to become one of the Twelve Disciples of Jesus Christ. Commonly understood to be the writer of the first Gospel of the New Testament


God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages."  ~Jacques Deval,
French Playwright and Director (1895- 1972)




They must love this woodland opening at the edge of a wildland canyon finger.  Their arrival comes earlier each year.  The joy these visitors leave me with is endless and boundless. Fruit lovers, they are a big portion why the cranberries and raisins get added to the main feeder. And why this time of year I do not let it run empty to save a few dollars.

Right now a half-sized oriole is swinging from the nyger feeder with the goldfinch. The goldfinch lock their claws into the screen holes up the side, pecking away at the seed, unaware of the faithful swaying of the feeder.  "My" little oriole cradles on the small bottom ledge, ignoring the coming and going of it compadres.

I found this quote not long ago.

 There is nothing in which the birds differ more from man than the way in which they can build and yet leave a landscape as it was before.
~Robert Lynd. Irish writer, essayist and nationalist.(1879 –1949)

 As much as I love nature, Mother Earth is not my God. She is the holder of the many gifts He bestowed upon us as a gift. If we were required to be subservient slaves to where blankness exists on the planet, that would not have been much of a gift.

This philosophy on development. What changes are made, may they be done with reverence, respect and love for The One that made life possible.

    

Animals, both small and great.. they all wait for thee to
give them their food in due season.
 Psalms 104:25, 27.
 Authorship frequently attributed to King David

Godspeed and Good Fortune on this countdown from Passover through Easter.

Bunny in nasturtium by Gene Sasse. Used with permission
If you are shy of orange trees, the manufactured feeders with oriole nectar are quite effective . But be patient. Such wonder may not happen the first year. Or the second. It was our third year when these beauties came to spend the spring with us.

4 comments:

  1. Especially lovely pictures today, Lydia. And your choice for scripture has always been one of my favorites.

    Thanks,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia,

    I also loved your choice of scripture. It gives one a feeling of being protected and cared for by our Lord.
    My very favorite is the 23rd Psalm. I was so pleased that it was read at Helen's service. I have had it memorized since I was a little girl. I ask only one request when I go, I want it read to those left behind. It is so comforting.
    Loved your birds and love the design of that red feeder. Is that what it is? Very pretty.

    XO Trisha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judy- Thank you for stopping by. ALWAYS good to hear from you.

    Trisha- Thank you to my other early bird.

    Helen's service was quite touching.

    The deep orange liguid is oriole nectar- the hummers are more adaptable to it than the orioles are to hummingbird food. Harder to come by.

    There is a bigger oriole out on the nyger seed feeder today. This is first year I've seen them hanging out there. Seem to be comfortable and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a daily basis I thank God for all the wonderment of the animal world he has bestowed on us. I thank Him for the little finches, the bluebirds building a nest in a birdhouse on the porch, the red headed woodpeckers who chirp to my whistling, the geese, and the turkeys who make me laugh all the time! A constant parade of beauty passes by me with the deer and the elk and even the gray squirrels who are so agile! Life is beautiful. God Bless you L for your words and pictures. xo

    ReplyDelete

Comments are encouraging blessings! Please send your thoughts- unless you look like a robot, in which case you'll be ignored.